Many European stations run multiple modes as well as additional packet ’channels’ for BBS interlinks etc, these can be found only on the USB frequency as the multi modes such as VARA, ARDOP, PACTOR and Robust Packet are sideband sensitive and sit at a fixed center frequency of 1500hz.
7.0452 USB (updated April 2023)
The USB dial frequency of 7.0452 has been selected to keep the setup intact according to the 20m setup, some of the stations switch from 20m to 40m during the evening when propagation on 20m becomes difficult. The 40m frequency shown here is within the EU digital mode allocation, the US allocation is unfortunately incompatible because it is much higher up the band, you may find Net40 on 7.104 LSB (AX25 300 baud at 1700hz center frequency).
The various new-skool multimodes run at a fixed center frequency at 1500hz, with the packet channels described sitting on either side, depicted in this screenshot:
You may want to try running QtSoundModem as it helps to visualise the spectrum with a waterfall.
For APRS-style beacons please follow:
- Beacon rate no less than 15-20 minutes;
- APRS DIGI path should be no more than WIDE2-1 – Just one hop.
- APRS “IGate to HF” path should not use WIDE-digis – to prevent unnecessary clutter.
Recommended BPQ32 APRS-settings:
Where N is the Port Number for APRS (see chart)
- APRSPath N=APRS,WIDE2-1 ; N – is the main HF packet port number.
- GATEDPATH N=APRS ; N – is the main HF packet port number, do not put WIDE-digi here!
- BeaconInterval=20 ; set to 15 or more min on your choice, its fine if operators want to define a different rate (15, 17, 20, 22 etc mins)
Some ideal APRS settings are at the discretion of operators:
- Digimap N=N ; enable APRS DIGI only on HF port
- Digimap N=N,IS ; enable digi on HF port + gate traffic TO APRS-IS.
- Digimap N=IS ; enable gate to APRS-IS, no HF DIGI.
Use only one APRS ‘Digimap’ declaration per port.
For our main stations (qrv 24/7 or regular) it is suggested to utilise the complete setting:
- Digimap N=N,IS
For part time operators please at least use:
- Digimap N=IS
Do not forget to replace ‘N’ with your main 300bd packet port number!
Coordinated and written with help from Serge, UT1HZM
If you find the articles, or content in general posted here useful, enjoyable or maybe even something else, please consider making a small contribution towards my hosting fund so that I may continue to provide my services for free to as many people as possible.