For APRS-style beacons please follow:
- Beacon rate no less than 15-20 minutes;
- APRS DIGI path should be no more than WIDE2-1 – Just one hop.
- APRS “IGate to HF” path should not use WIDE-digis – to prevent unnecessary clutter.
Recommended BPQ32 APRS-settings:
Where N is the Port Number for APRS (see chart)
- APRSPath N=APRS,WIDE2-1 ; N – is the main HF packet port number.
- GATEDPATH N=APRS ; N – is the main HF packet port number, do not put WIDE-digi here!
- BeaconInterval=20 ; set to 15 or more min on your choice, its fine if operators want to define a different rate (15, 17, 20, 22 etc mins)
Some ideal APRS settings are at the discretion of operators:
- Digimap N=N ; enable APRS DIGI only on HF port
- Digimap N=N,IS ; enable digi on HF port + gate traffic TO APRS-IS.
- Digimap N=IS ; enable gate to APRS-IS, no HF DIGI.
Use only one APRS ‘Digimap’ declaration per port.
For our main stations (qrv 24/7 or regular) it is suggested to utilise the complete setting:
- Digimap N=N,IS
For part time operators please at least use:
- Digimap N=IS
Do not forget to replace ‘N’ with your main 300bd packet port number!
Coordinated and written with help from Serge, UT1HZM
If you find the articles, or content in general posted here useful, enjoyable or maybe even something else, please consider making a small contribution towards my hosting fund so that I may continue to provide my services for free to as many people as possible.