For APRS-style beacons please follow:
- Beacon rate no less than 15-20 minutes;
- APRS DIGI path should be no more than WIDE2-1 – Just one hop.
- APRS “IGate to HF” path should not use WIDE-digis – to prevent unnecessary clutter.
Recommended BPQ32 APRS-settings:
Where N is the Port Number for APRS (see chart)
- APRSPath N=APRS,WIDE2-1 ; N – is the main HF packet port number.
- GATEDPATH N=APRS ; N – is the main HF packet port number, do not put WIDE-digi here!
- BeaconInterval=20 ; set to 15 or more min on your choice, its fine if operators want to define a different rate (15, 17, 20, 22 etc mins)
Some ideal APRS settings are at the discretion of operators:
- Digimap N=N ; enable APRS DIGI only on HF port
- Digimap N=N,IS ; enable digi on HF port + gate traffic TO APRS-IS.
- Digimap N=IS ; enable gate to APRS-IS, no HF DIGI.
Use only one APRS ‘Digimap’ declaration per port.
For our main stations (qrv 24/7 or regular) it is suggested to utilise the complete setting:
- Digimap N=N,IS
For part time operators please at least use:
- Digimap N=IS
Do not forget to replace ‘N’ with your main 300bd packet port number!
Coordinated and written with help from Serge, UT1HZM